“Fell in love with teaching; fell in...
Episode #122: Survival Tips For Contentious IEP Meetings
Whether you are a seasoned professional, parent, or brand new to the field, IEP meetings are a reality when it comes to school based settings. With over 20 years of experience, I have 5 top tips to keep you positive, prepared, and confident no matter the tone of the meeting.
- Have your special education director or administrator present – Sometimes lawyers and advocates are going to attend the meeting; in that event, make sure you have support on your side beyond your building principal.
- Complete a robust assessment AND/OR be comfortable with most recent assessment – Check out my prior episode on assessments like the PFA, Rossetti, VB-Mapp, Communication Matrix, and more.
- Include baseline data – This demonstrates a need for a goal. Be specific with accuracy and dates to track goals and progress.
- Send a draft home for a review – I recommend a week prior, but every district is different. The parent needs a chance to review and give feedback with their home team, and then you have a chance to receive and consider that feedback prior to the meeting or be prepared to discuss more during the IEP.
- Be prepared, remain calm, be professional, and seek help – You deserve to be treated with respect and do not have to accept verbal abuse, even during difficult and contentious IEP meetings.
If you ever need extra support, whether you’re a parent or professional, I am here, and you can book a coaching call with me. Not every IEP meeting will be warm and fuzzy, but we can live in a world where we do not dread them!
- Do you dread IEP meetings?
- 5 survival tips for a positive IEP meeting.
- When to seek support in an IEP meeting.
- What to know about assessments prior to an IEP meeting.
- Why is a draft SO important before an IEP meeting.
- Why do contentious IEP meetings occur?
Mentioned In This Episode
Rate, Review & Subscribe
If you found this podcast helpful, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me to support more people — just like you!
If you have not done so already, subscribe to the podcast. This ensures that you do not miss an episode!
You Might Also Like…
Family and parent...
Episode #151: The Journey of Raising an Autistic Child with Profound Autism with Jeannette Passanisi
[fusebox_track_player url="https://www.buzzsprout.com/1572088/13939550-151-the-journey-of-raising-an-autistic-child-with-profound-autism-with-jeannette-passanisi.mp3?download=true" title="Episode #151: The Journey of Raising an Autistic Child with Profound Autism with...