https://vimeo.com/831459411 What a...
Episode #001: Welcome to Autism Outreach
One of the most meaningful moments I had as a speech therapist was as I was watching a mentor work with a student over the age of 18. She was teaching him to use a static device to request the things that he enjoyed, and it was such a joy to watch him find a way to communicate with the world.
In this podcast series, I’m going to teach strategies that help children with autism learn to communicate. As a Speech Language Pathologist and a board-certified behavior analyst, I love working in both public and private settings. It gives me an opportunity to see many different kinds of situations and students, and adjust my communication techniques to reach each one.
Whatever setting a Speech Language Pathologist is in, you can find them working on a variety of tasks like:
- Teaching augmentative communication
- Creating functional IEPs
- Taking meaningful data
- Working together as a team
- Helping students engage in therapy
No matter the tasks, the setting, or the age of a patient, if a topic touches on communication in any way, I’m going to address it here with my guests. Don’t miss the preference assessment that I use to engage with my patients who are on the autism spectrum that immediately helps you connect with them.
- Why I love speech language therapy, and my goals for this podcast series.
- The education and training I received formally was fantastic, but stepping into a real world practice has made me realize that I want to teach other therapists about learning new skills that will reach the variety of children and adults that they’ll see.
- My number one strategy for engaging hard-to-reach children, and how you can implement it in your own practice.
Mentioned In This Episode
Rate, Review & Subscribe
If you found this podcast helpful, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me to support more people — just like you!
If you have not done so already, subscribe to the podcast. This ensures that you do not miss an episode!
You Might Also Like…
Episode #126: Using an Assent Based Model For Intervention with Liz Lefebre
https://vimeo.com/829285618 This isn’t the...
Episode #125: The Importance of Occupational Therapy with Dr. Kelle DeBoth Foust
https://vimeo.com/827117442 [fusebox_track_player url="https://www.buzzsprout.com/1572088/12856691-125-the-importance-of-occupational-therapy-with-dr-kelle-deboth.mp3?download=true" title="Episode #125: The Importance of Occupational Therapy with Dr. Kelle DeBoth...