If your child has been diagnosed with autism, it can be beyond stressful to know what to do next. I want to share with you next steps to get your child on the road to increasing their communication and getting their needs met. I will be sharing tips and strategies as outlined on the Milestones First Diagnosis Tool Kit. Make sure to put your email below, to get your autism diagnosis checklist.
- Learn about the different evidenced based therapies available and decide which you will incorporate into your child’s life
- Contact an early intervention agency in your area, if your child is under the age of 3 to receive developmental services
- Reach out to your school district’s Director of Pupil Services or Special Education Coordinator – they help families with school-aged children (ages 3 – 21) with special needs
- Initiate a request at your child’s school to get your child a full evaluation. This may include academic, speech and occupational testing. This will be dependent on your child’s individual needs.
- Research opportunities for funding necessary therapies through scholarships and waivers. This will vary based on your location.
- If you are eligible, Medicaid is also a financial resource to pay for possible medical or other disability-related care services. You can apply for assistance by contacting your county’s Department of Job and Family Services.
- Educate yourself about IEPs or Section 504 plans, to determine what is applicable for your child. A good online resource is Wrightslaw.com
- Find a speech language pathologist. Working with someone who is well versed in working with students with autism is important. Ask about this before starting services. Find a speech therapist in your area.
- Learn more about autism, interventions and resources.
- Still have questions about autism, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, we are here to help!
PUT YOUR EMAIL BELOW TO GET YOUR AUTISM DIAGNOSIS CHECKLIST.
The information is very helpful because parents today who are unable to support their child financial services, this information can assist them.
Happy that this has been helpful