Cooking!! We do it so often and it can be an amazing time to work on communication skills. We can help our children learn new labels, practice new skills and have fun in the process! I have a free printable download with the strategies at the end of this blog post.

Work on labeling items that you use while cooking.

• spoon
  • chocolate chips
  • butter
  • tortilla
  • salsa
  • cheese
  • pouring
  • stirring

Work on one step directions.

• Get the plates
  • Pour the water
  • Get the cheese
  • Stir the batter

Work on conversation skills.

• Did you have fun cooking today?
  • Would you rather eat a taco or spaghetti?
  • What is your favorite dessert?

Don’t forget to snag your free download today. Put it right on the fridge and make cooking a language enriched activity for your child!

7 Comments

1. Susan Rose on May 30, 2020 at 5:38 pm

Thank you, Rose. Your materials are always clear, concise, functional and user friendly. I love receiving material you create. Sue SLP

• Rosemarie Griffin on May 31, 2020 at 12:42 pm

So happy to hear this! Thanks so much for the note šŸ™‚

2. Jennifer Bilgrav on May 31, 2020 at 4:28 pm

Thank you Rose. I love all of your materials!!! Your suggestions are easy to follow and super helpful for the parents to practice communication skills with their children at home! I appreciate all your dedication and generosity for sharing your therapy ideas/activities. They have been extremely useful during these uncertain times.

• Rosemarie Griffin on June 1, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Thanks so much Jennifer for these kind words šŸ™‚

3. G.Kelly on June 1, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing materials and info that support families, especially now when families need ways to incorporate learning in their established routines.

4. Rebecca on November 18, 2020 at 7:14 pm

I need IEP ideas for my 17 yr old Autistic son, who has impacted speech and auditory processing delay. IEP is next month. And Iā€™m spinning my wheels trying to figure out a new and innovative ways of new speech ideas. I appreciate any support you can provide me with

• Rosemarie Griffin on November 19, 2020 at 8:22 am

Hi Rebecca. Good to hear from you. A majority of my clients are in middle and high school. I try to focus on functional communication and how to help my students become more independent communicators. So skills like answering personal information questions ( what is your name, address, b-day), vocational vocabulary and communication within vocational activities, as well as leisure skills. I have a cool 90 minute course on leisure skills here on the site under shop- great information for life long communication and leisure skills.