If you are anything like me you have many students who are working on a variety of social skills. It can be a challenge to plan functional therapy for mixed groups of students. The video below shows you one of my favorite games to play with students. It can be played as a reinforcement after hard work during the session or it can be played for students who are working on social skills. I call this game the grocery store or store game. I wrote about this in my September 2017 article in the ASHA leader titled, ” It can be fun and games.” I will tell you the steps below.
- Write out the alphabet vertically on a dry erase board, or just part of the alphabet – depending on how much time you have.
- Have some flashcards available just in case some of your learners need a visual cue during the game.
- Write the carrier phrase, I went to the store ______________ at the top of the dry erase board.
- Each student takes a turn with a letter of the alphabet thinking of something they could buy at the store. A = apple, B = banana, etc…
- If a student is having a hard time – show a picture card to help prompt the correct answer or describe the item to the student. This will vary based on the student’s language level.
Enjoy this youtube video I made all about how to play this game! If you want access to a guidebook for working on leisure and social skills with elementary students, fill out the form below and my guide will be sent your way. Enjoy.
Get your modified leisure download
Making play and leisure fun for all